Sydney John BLUMER (Dr.)

The BLUMER’S had several properties in Patonga and although they were not overtly involved in the community in the small village they were well known.

Sydney John Blumer was born in 1889 in Sofala, New South Wales, to parents, George (26) and Mary (24). He married Marjorie E H Martin in 1915 in Ryde, N.S.W. They had one child during their marriage. He died prematurely on 14 June 1950 in New South Wales at the age of 61.

In 1914 Sydney BLUMER finished his degree and in 1916 appeared on the Register of Medical Practitioners as working at Bowraville whilst his brother George who had graduated in 1910 was working as a doctor in Macksville.

Government Gazette 1916

In 1918 Sydney Blumer was working as a doctor in the Bowraville area and a local news story tells of him coming to the rescue of a young man bitten by a black snake. Nambucca and Bellinger News Feb, 8, 1918

It appears Blumer was still in Bowraville in 1920, DISTRICT COURT. (Before Judge Cohen.) ACCIDENT TO A SEAMAN. Claims by Doctor and Nurse.  Sydney John Blumer, surgeon and medical practitioner, of Bowraville, was the plaintiff in an action against John Storey Rodger, of Wauchope, sawmlller, and at one time owner of the ship “Hall Caine”, for the recovery of £72 4/ for professional services rendered to H. Miller, a seaman employed on the “Hall Caine” on February 12, 1918. His Honor gave a verdict for the defendant in each case.

By 1923 he was in Sydney and in 1924 an early member of the N.R.M.A. In 1925 he was reported as a bowler for South Ashfield, in the final of the Metropolitan Championship Pairs.

From Roy Ewer blog in an early reference to Patonga: “…  first two story home in Patonga belonging to the Rollason family. They owned a successful business in Sydney, importing precious metals and gem stones for the jewelry manufacturing trade. Quite a few vacant blocks further along the beach was the residence of Bill Gunnee. He was a retired fire brigade chief and had two sons and a daughter, Sam, Don and Billie. The last house, nearest the bar, was a retreat for Sydney medico, Dr. Blumer…”

In April 1930 Marjorie Blumer became the owner of the property at 71 Bay Street at the cost of one hundred and forty pounds whilst Sydney John Blumer became the owner of 73 Bay Street.  In November 1930 another property was transferred to Marjorie Blumer (39 Patonga St) which was owned until 1943.  In July 1931 S.J. Blumer applied for approval to build a concrete building in Bay Street.

The Gosford Times and Wyong District Advocate (NSW : 1906 – 1954) July 30th 1931

After his death the properties became part of the RAWLIN family holdings beginning with Ethel Olive Blumer who married Arthur Joseph RAWLIN.  The properties remained with the RAWLIN family until at least the late 80’s.

In 1930 an article in the Daily Pictorial painted the picture of Dr. Blumer’s love of fishing “…

Daily Pictorial ( Sydney, NSW: 1930-1931) October 19th, 1930

Margaret Blumer – 1934 must have been the “coming out” year for Margaret Blumer as she appeared in several newspaper articles.  In 1934 Marjorie (mother) hosted a young peoples’ week-end party during Easter, at her cottage at Patonga.  It would seem that Margaret was reluctant and retired to the family farm at Windsor where she took over and managed the apiaries.

Her marriage in 1937 to a pastoralist, Jock Weston, of Wellington saw Margaret lead the family to interests around Wellington N.S.W.  By July 1940 The Australasian Corriedale Society has approved of the registration of studs from the following breeders:’—”Levels” section: A. R. Beeson, Leyburn, Gunnedah, N.S.W. “C.S.” section: A. Suttie, of Byaduk, Vic.; and C. J. G. Weston and Dr. S. Blumer, Wellington, N.S.W.

By April, 1949 Sydney Blumer had his pilot’s licence but came to grief “… CRASH: This two-seater Aeronca monoplane crashed in Martin’s Paddock, Fairfield Street, Fairfield yesterday. The pilot. Dr. Sidney Blumer, 51, of Woollahra, was slightly injured, and his passenger Richard Creak 23, of Earlwood, was not hurt….”  The truth of the matter was that Blumer fractured his spine, was encased in plaster and spent some time in hospital.

The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW: 1931-1954) April 16th, 1949

Blumer did not have much luck with aircraft whilst recovering from his own crash his plane a tiger moth was crashed by the hirers in May, 1949. In the next year Blumer was subjected to his final catastrophe.

In June 1950 circumstances of kismet surrounded “…THE death of Dr. Sydney Blumer earlier this month was part of a tragic coincidence. He had been delivering some wood from his Hawkesbury River property to his mother-in-law, Mrs. Madge Martin in Holden Street Ashfied, was knocked down by a car as he stood by his jeep and died in hospital the next day. Mrs. Martin’s other daughter, Mrs. A. V. Rosich, whose husband was a banking identity some years ago, was widowed in the same manner. When Mrs. Martin, who was deeply shocked by the death of Dr. Blumer, went to visit his wife, she dropped dead…”

You can’t help but think that Sydney Blumer on one hand worked hard and achieved a lot but on the other you may wonder if fate was unkind to him on many occasions. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.